Our Adoption Process
Our Adoption Application is designed to ensure a good match between dogs and adopters. Before you submit an application, you’ll want to ensure the following items are completed.
- Please ensure you are located within a 35 mile radius of Alexandria 22312 zip code (we do not adopt outside of our adoption area)
- Your current pets are up to date on all vaccines and preventatives
- Your current pets must be spayed or neutered
- Ensure you talk to your landlord if you are renting to find out about any pet restrictions, pet deposits, etc.
- Check with your home owner/condo association to ensure pets are allowed and check their restricted breed list
- Analyze your lifestyle to determine which breed mix would be an ideal fit for your lifestyle, level of activity, living space and such.
- Talk to neighborhood dog walkers to ensure you can afford a dog walker if the dog will be alone 5 hours or more per day
- Analyze your finances to ensure you are in a position to afford to provide for a pet
- Check with friends and family to set up a good network for your pet for the times you will be traveling.
Once your application is submitted, our adoption team will review your application. We evaluate the temperament, activity level, and needs of each dog to determine the most suitable type of adoptive home for the dog. Dogs are placed with the home that best meets the dog’s needs, NOT on a “first come, first served” basis. Please allow 2-3 weeks for your application to be processed.
If there’s a match then you will be contacted for a meet and greet. Our meet and greets are set up with our dogs and their foster families. This is a great opportunity for you to get to know our dog and for us to get to know you. If the meet and greet goes well and it’s a good fit all around then a home visit will be set up. If all goes well at the home visit then you will have the option to proceed to full adoption. We ask that you do not purchase any items
for the dog until the adoption is fully approved. Once fully approved, you will be given a list of suggested items to purchase to welcome home your new family member.
Please do keep in mind that none of our dogs can be held or reserved until after your adoption is fully approved. We adopt each dog to the first approved applicant. We understand that adopters look at multiple dogs with multiple rescues and we do the same for our dogs. We meet with multiple applicants to determine the best match for our dogs.
If your selected dog is adopted before your application is approved, we will gladly help you select from one of our other wonderful dogs if there’s a match.
Adoption Fees and Contract
At the time of adoption, you will need to complete our Adoption Contract and provide payment of our adoption fee. Our adoption fee is $350 for most of our dogs (there are exceptions to this) and the fee is paid directly to our vet’s office to help off set the rising costs of medical care.
Our dogs are fully up to date on all age appropriate vaccines (at the time of adoption). They are up to date on monthly preventatives and spayed/neutered if they are over 6 months of age. Dogs over the age of 6 months are tested for heart worm/lyme, Anaplasma and Ehrlicia. Our dogs are also treated for intestinal parasites. Please do keep in mind that our dogs come from rural outdoor shelters and as a result they often require multiple dewormings to ensure they are completely free of intestinal worms.
Our dogs receive a full vet check-up prior to going to their new homes. Puppies will be spayed/neutered and micro-chipped once they are 6 months of age. The adoption fee covers their spay/neuter and micro-chip at our selected spay/neuter clinic. One of our adoption coordinators will contact you once your pup has turned 6 months of age to schedule his or her spay/neuter appointment.